
Finally, Mother Nature cooperated and the weather was a delight today. With my one day off, I ran errands in the morning and headed over to the Tidal Basin to enjoy the Cherry Blossoms Festival. This being a Sunday and a sunny day, the tourists were out in droves. Maneuvering among the hoards of kids and baby carriages, I ventured up the escalator at the Smithsonian metro stop hearing at least four different languages I recognized and several more I did not.
This is part of what makes Washington, D.C. so great and why the annual festival is a family favorite. The Cherry Blossoms, trees given as a gift from the people of Japan in 191
2, makes everyone smile and brings together people of all ages and cultures. It may have been crowded but everyone was happy to be outside enjoying the lovely weather and the beautiful blossoms.Cameras were everywhere, from the point and click to the professionals with long lenses to the television crews; all trying to capture the delicate pink flowers. Couples, old and young, holding hands, father and sons playing soccer or football abound. Paddle boats filled the Tidal Basin as the Jefferson Memorial stood proudly.
A girl group drum band was part of the afternoon entertainment but had just finished by the time I got over to the festival and young girls in colorful kimonos were stopped by all for pictures.

Of course not all the action was south of Independence Avenue. At Union Station, a duo played jazz for those coming and going.
Overall a wonderful spring day as I ventured around.
No comments:
Post a Comment